An experienced Finance Professional, Kevin Kelly FCPA, has over 20 years of experience working in and with technology, professional services, not for profits, social enterprises & creative SMEs. He is a trusted business advisor and has extensive experience in helping small businesses scale with his expertise in financial management, business planning, development, and governance.
He is strategic and commercially focused, working with SME business owners and management to improve business performance, profits, and sustainable growth through board-level advisory services.
He is an active member of the Institute of Directors with numerous leadership roles as a Managing Partner, Director, Auditor, Chairperson, Trustee, Financial Controller and as Past President of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Chamber of Commerce.
Kevin enjoys helping businesses grow , always working to advance the Irish SME community and is a strong communicator across all levels.
Kevin is also a member of “Scale Ireland” – actively participating and supporting Irish SMEs growth and innovation.
Kevin qualified as a C.P.A. in Ireland and worked as a Financial Controller in a fintech business for several years. He founded and managed an audit firm before building and selling 2 highly profitable and successful accountancy practices in Dublin and Limerick one of which was TaxAssist Accountants Franchisee of the year in 2016.
He has held various leadership roles including as a Director and Past President of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Chamber of Commerce where healso served as a member of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council internal audit committee providing oversight and helping to drive organisational improvements.
He has advised several not for profits to scale with his expertise in governance and financial management. In addition, Kevin has CPA Diploma for Governance for Charitable Sector.
He has offered strategic support and guidance to allow several business owners to exit and achieve the best return on their investment.
Over the course of his career, he has:
- Strategic Planning – Collaborative development of plan to support the targeting and winning of major customers which significantly increased the size of the company.
- New business set up– advised and managed registration of numerous SMEs with focus on appropriate legal structure, sales pricing/fees, costs, H.R., business planning and development.
- Cash-flow – engaged with Local Enterprise Offices to secure funding and delivery of cash-flow projections for 11 clients during Covid-19 restrictions. Enabling clients to understand impact of restrictions, working capital demands, and to fund additional capital where needed through subsidies and financing.
- Due-Diligence – supported sale of SMEs ensuring preparation of accounts, input to legal agreements and communication with stakeholders.
- Business Turnaround – Review of major loss-making contracts and costing processes to improve financial viability and ensure sustainable strategy.
- Finance Transformation – Designed finance and administrative functions to align with evolving strategic requirements including structural reorganisations. Develop meaningful and timely
- Management Information and KPIs which in turn drove business performance.
- Exit & retirement planning – Achievement of top and bottom-line growth through business life cycle to optimise valuation for business sale. Advised on tax, payroll, and pension implications. Clients included car dealership, service, and construction SMEs.
- Buy/Sell Business – disposal of own accountancy businesses, clients advised include pharmacy and services businesses. Was in key role as Financial Controller with Management Buy Out of fintech company. Advising on key issues of valuation, finance and tax.
- People Development – built finance teams with a mix of trainee, part, and fully qualified accountants. Focus on accountability, transparency, and lifelong learning for all the team. Leading to many internal promotions and successful moves to more senior external roles.
- Tax and VAT Management – delivered successful client outcomes on complex cases with Revenue involving negotiations on tax liabilities, VAT rulings and outstanding returns.
- Board Advisory – director in professional service SMEs, not for profits and role as Chairperson and President in business groups.
“Kevin was deeply involved in the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown (DLR) Chamber and accepted the responsibility as President of the DLR Chamber in which he managed with great dedication, success and professionalism. I am delighted to acknowledge that Kevin through his leadership and managerial actions re-introduced the Chamber to a new business audience. He re-organised the style of Business-to-Business Meetings for DLR Chamber members. The result of which saw the membership numbers grow to new heights. Kevin explained to the Chamber Board as to the need to change the Chamber membership annual fee. That change resulted with a stronger Chamber which greatly improved the local business environment in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. The business synergy Kevin started exists to this day. I can state that Kevin Kelly is a most forthright gentleman professional in every extent”.
Pat Neill MBA – Community and Risk Manager Dundrum Town Centre
Case Study: Professional services disposal
Size (Number of employees): Team of 18
Business Issue: No management information to enable business critical decision-making
Background: The frustrated owners of a technology business had no reliable management information on which to base key business decisions. Turnover had trebled in twelve months, but revenues were volatile and dependent on third parties. The owners were considering a subscription/membership-based income model to de-risk and achieve financial stability, but there were no financials on which to base this new strategy. Plus, the owners were worried that their tax advice was out-of-date.