An experienced Senior Financial Specialist – Sean Finn has extensive experience in businesses ranging from owner managed SMEs, financial services multinationals with worldwide operations and state-owned commercial enterprises.
Sean has proven skills in managing financial & management reporting systems, business process review & improvement and stakeholder management.
He believes that a Senior Financial Specialist is not just about the obvious need for financial information. It should also be about adding value for & to an organisation. The Senior Financial Specialist contributes to strategic decision making, management systems development, seeing the whole picture, bringing relevant business acumen to bear & successfully conveying the financial implications of decisions made – a real trusted financial advisor.
Sean qualified as a Chartered Accountant in Ireland. Post qualification, he spent two years in practice, acting as an outsourced internal auditor as well as working on a number of business acquisition due diligence projects. He then moved to a computer & business skills training SME before moving into financial services where he was involved in the growth & development of a European based fund administrator.
He left that to set up a boutique consultancy offering outsourced financial management, business mentoring & business storytelling (or content creation). Here he has worked with a number of private clients as well as government backed commercial enterprises on varied projects from creating financial plans for sole traders to implementing a new financial management & reporting systems for a state agency.
He is a self-starter, well organised & believes in being hands-on and has proven success in initiating, leading & implementing solutions to issues having a positive effect on business profitability and efficiency. He see cross functional working of critical importance to enhance effective communicating & networking and deliver effective results.
Some career highlights include:
- Business Process Improvement -Initiated the development of bespoke automated systems that freed up time for more effective analysis of results & trends, taking two days out of a five-day month end process, increasing both productivity & minimising the risk of material misstatement.
- Client Profitability Reporting – Developed a clear & concise Client Profitability reporting approach that enabled more effective review & monitoring of clients.
- Risk Management – Managed a full suite of internal controls & monitoring procedures to ensure completeness & accuracy of records as well as strong corporate governance.
- Fund Raising – Part of a team raising finance to fund a management buyout of a services business.
- Stakeholder Management – Highly developed capacity to organise & balance the needs of all stakeholders whether Internal (Group reporting), External (Auditors), Regulators or Government Tax Agencies.
- Due Diligence – Being part of a management team assisting in the acquisition of a smaller payroll bureau to complement an existing service.
- Reporting and systems – Designed and implemented financial management & reporting systems for a state agency.
A small business unit within a bank had gone through a period of growth. To meet customer requirements, sales agreements had become more complex. There was pressure to reduce or eliminate costs. The existing accounting system had not had real resources invested in it for a number of years and was increasingly not fit for purpose.
It was not as automated as it might have been. The Finance Team itself was small in number and would remain so, which given the other background, meant the team were feeling a great deal of pressure. As a result, the financial reporting produced was too long, in addition to lacking sufficient quality analysis that would help management.
The key challenge was to reduce the time taken to produce the accounts and monthly reports. Doing so would enable management to guide & develop the business more effectively. This was also dependent on the quality of the reports and the analysis they contained being improved. This in turn depended on automating some processes giving the team more time to prepare effective analysis as well as reducing the pressure on them.
Click here to read more